How Do Disinfectant Sprays Work?
Lysol disinfecting sprays eliminate 99.9% of odor-causing bacteria and kill mildew, mold, and viruses on non-porous, hard surfaces. Based on information from Lysol's website, below are the steps to follow when using disinfectant sprays:
- Clean surfaces before spraying. These surfaces should be non-porous, hard surfaces.
- Spray for 3-5 seconds about 6-8 inches above the surface.
- Rinse toys and surfaces that come into contact with food with water.
For full disinfection, the surface should air dry after being wet for 3 minutes. For full sanitation, let the spray remain on the surface for at least 10 seconds and air dry. When spot-sanitizing soft materials like fabrics, avoid saturating the material, and allow the material to be wet for 30 seconds before air drying.
Are Disinfectant Sprays Effective?
They are most effective on non-porous, hard surfaces and many brands, like Lysol, have been tested and proven to kill viruses like Rhinovirus Type 39 and Influenza A (H1N1). The CDC recommends using sprays that have at least 70% alcohol. To see the full list of what they've been proven to kill, check out this link. When purchasing a specific disinfectant wipe, do your research online to learn just what they've been proven and tested to kill.
Should You Have Disinfectant Sprays in Your Home?
Yes! Many disinfectant sprays are made specifically to be used in your home. They are safe to use and a great tool for cleaning and disinfecting objects you touch every day. If you want to try making your own disinfectant spray, check out this handy New York Times article. To make sure you are properly and effectively using your disinfectant sprays, follow these 6 easy steps from the EPA.
What Can You Spray?
You can spray anything! But remember, most sprays work best and can guarantee what they claim on non-porous hard surfaces like sinks, garbage cans, bathtubs and showers, toilets, doorknobs, phones, etc.
Top Disinfectant Sprays
- Belle Chemical Medical Grade Isopropyl Alcohol: $15.99
- Parker Protex Disinfectant Spray: $10.59
- Accel Rescue RTU Disinfectant and Deodorizer: $15.99
- SNiPER Hospital Disinfectant: $9.99
- Micro-Scientific Opti-Cide3 Disinfectant Spray: $18.10
- Micro-Scientific Opti-Cide Max Disinfectant: $14.95
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray: $5.48