As you and your child prepare to begin at-home remote learning, it’s important to know just what gadgets and devices you need to be successful. It’s also equally important to know how best to clean and sanitize them!
There are some basic items that every child will probably need for at-home learning, but it’s still important that you communicate with your child’s teacher and school to make sure you are set up with the right gear to enable remote learning.
Devices You Need
- Web-accessible Device: This could be a tablet, smartphone, laptop, or desktop monitor.
- Webcam: In case your device doesn’t have a working camera, you’ll need to purchase a webcam so your student can be seen while using video chat apps for class.
- This webcam from Logitech is a great price and very easy to install. It can easily fit onto any monitor and works with any device.
- Headphones: It’s great to use headphones when participating in live or recorded class sessions, especially if you have multiple people occupying one space. Headphones also can provide a more effective microphone than the one already in your device.
- We recommend using over-the-ear headphones like these since they are a little more comfortable and can also provide better sound. Many of them block out outside distracting sounds.
- Computer Mouse: If you are using a laptop or desktop computer, we recommend purchasing a Bluetooth wireless mouse. It’s easy to use and nice to eliminate cords.
- We like this mouse from Logitech that’s battery-powered and wireless and comes in fun designs and colors!
- Charger: It’s important to keep your devices charged since a lot of remote learning takes place on electronic devices. There are some great long cords that give your child mobility while they charge. You can also get some great outlet expanders that will let you plug in multiple devices and chargers at the same time.
- Stylus: If you have a touch screen laptop or a tablet, a stylus pen can be a great tool. It can be used to take handwritten notes and draw. It’s a nice way to also save paper and let your child get creative. You can find styluses that are specific to certain brands or you can purchase universal ones that are compatible with multiple products.
- We recommend this rechargeable stylus pen that is easy to use, compatible with both Apple products and other tablets, and comes in multiple colors.
Not all the tools you may need will be electronic. You can also purchase art supplies for your child. It’s important to break up the time they spend online and in front of a computer with hands-on learning. This can be in the form of arts and crafts, puzzles, games, or outdoor play. It can still be valuable to use paper and pen during your child’s schoolwork so it’s a great idea to supply their learning area with pens, pencils, and notebooks.
Since many of the devices and gadgets your child may use during remote learning won’t be present when they get back into the classroom, you should still have things that will be familiar to them when they go back to school.
How Can You Keep These Items Clean? Here Are Some Tips:
- Make sure your child is washing their hands. This is a very easy and simple way to help prevent the spread of germs. Set a timer or schedule frequent hand washing during the day and make sure to wash with both water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Keep hand sanitizer nearby or even in the child’s learning area. Look for hand sanitizers that have at least 60% alcohol.
- Use our HomeSoap sanitizer. Our largest sanitizer can hold multiple items at once. It’s very easy to toss in a tablet and headphones at the end of the day and eliminate 99.99% of bacteria in just 10 minutes. The HomeSoap can hold most items your child may use, though larger items like a computer monitor won’t fit. Make sure to check out the dimensions on our website to know what you can put into the HomeSoap.
Gathering the right devices and keeping them clean will help make your child's remote learning experience successful and fulfilling this school year.