10 Most Unique Baby Shower Gifts
As a woman in her late 20s, I've been to my fair share of baby showers recently. I've gotten into the habit of giving my friend or cousin or sister their gift a little late, after I see everything they've gotten from their other baby shower attendees. I do this for basically one reason - I want to give them something useful. If they got a plethora of tiny baby swimsuits, then obviously I'll steer clear of that no matter how badly I want to buy every single one.
Everyone wants to buy the 'fun' gifts - clothes, blankets, cute bottles - you get the idea. Maybe it's a pride thing, but I always want to give them the gift they'll be truly grateful for 6 months down the line.
That being said, here is my list of fool-proof, completely useful, and astonishingly cool baby products.
1) MAM Glow in the Dark Pacifier. Is there anything worse than fumbling through the dark to search for a paci gone missing at 2 a.m., knowing that if you turn on the lights you can kiss sleep goodbye for good? Enter the glow in the dark pacifier, something that should have been invented decades ago!
2) Tommee Tippee Baby Feeding Bottles. My cousin had a baby about 6 months ago, and since then has had to bring her wherever she goes because the baby won't take a bottle. She was frustrated because it felt like all her pumping had gone to waste AND she couldn't ever let her husband help with feedings. She hadn't heard of these bottles made to mimic a breast for a natural latch.
3) Haakaa Manual Breast Pump. I know what you're thinking - who in their right mind would want a manual breast pump? No one would, unless you're out and about and find yourself unable to use your electric pump. However, the reviews for this thing deserve some attention, since users are claiming it pulls more milk than their electric pumps! For $12, I'd say it's worth a try.
4) Doona Car Seat. A car seat with fully integrated wheels? Sign me up. Hefty price tag, but sometimes you just can't put a price on convenience. This car seat converts seamlessly into a stroller - without waking your baby up. Perfect for a shower group gift!
5) Big Red Rooster White Noise Machine. I've seen a lot of expensive, fancy noise machines in my day and I can't imagine why you'd need to spend so much on a tiny box that just makes noise. That's why this noise machine is my favorite. I use one for myself, and I recommended it to a friend a couple years ago when she had a baby and she still uses it. There are six different noise settings to choose from, so baby can sleep peacefully no matter what might be going on outside their bedroom!
6) Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier. I personally think humidifiers are highly underrated and EVERY home should have one, baby or not. Humidifiers add moisture to the air, making it much easier to breathe when you're sick or have allergies. When I start feeling like I might be congested, the first thing I do is whip out my humidifier. It also can help with dry skin and sore throats, too!
7) Munchkin Lulla-Vibe Vibrating Mattress Pad. For those fussy sleepers! This is a thin, paddle-shaped device that emits vibrations to help babies fall asleep. Reviewers say they have also used it in car seats, too!
8) Boon Baby Food Dispensing Spoon. You know those products that come out and they're so simple but so genius you're wondering why you didn't think of it yourself?! This spoon is like that for me. Such an obvious idea! Perfect for feeding baby on the go.
9) Boon Glo Nightlight with Portable Balls. Another Boon product - these people know what they're doing! This cool nightlight is not only a unique piece for their bedroom, it also has removable glowing balls that can be taken to the bathroom, kitchen, or (hopefully not!) mom and dad's bedroom.
10) PhoneSoap. I probably don't need to tell you that keeping baby away from harmful germs is super important, and it isn't always easy. One of the most germ-ridden items in our home is actually our smartphone. Since it's carried everywhere we go, it can easily pick up bacteria along the way. PhoneSoap creates products that will kill 99.99% of the germs on your phone in 10 minutes using UV-C light AND charge it simultaneously. There are a few different versions to choose from: PhoneSoap 3, PhoneSoap Wireless, PhoneSoap Go, and the HomeSoap - made for larger items (tablets, remotes, baby toys, etc.).
Have you ever given or received an awesome baby gift? Let us know in the comments below!